The Americans prefer to call this site just the Grand Central. It is the oldest station of New York, which eventually became one of the main attractions of Manhattan in general and Midtown in particular.
The Grand Central plays the crucial role in passenger transport in the area of the Metropolitan area of New York. The Grand Central is also a record holder among all stations of the world: the number of its platforms is 44 with 67 tracks. All platforms and railway lines are located on two underground levels: there are 41 lines on the upper level and 26 - on the bottom level.
The company responsible for time-tabled trains from the Grand Central is Metro-North Railroad, which is one of the divisions of the MTA. Trains from here go to the districts neighboring to New York. The station is filled with various restaurants and small shops, although representatives of major retail chains are hard to find here.
The main lobby of the station deserves special attention. It was shown in many movies. Its size is more than impressive: it is 84 meters long and 38 meters wide. There are also ticket offices and slot machines, as well as an information desk and the famous four-sided clock.
The arched ceiling of the station is decorated with astronomical and astrological pictures. It was restored in 90-s, as the ceiling turned black from tobacco smoke. The station facade in the Beaux-arts style is also great. It is decorated with a beautiful clock, expensive Tiffany glass and sculptures of ancient Roman gods created by Jules-Felix Kotan. The Grand Central has the terminal, which was opened in 1999. It was called the Grand Central North.
The current building of the Grand Central is not first one located on this place. The original building, which was named Grand Central Depot, had been opened in the distant 1871. The old building was demolished and the great complex was built on its place from 1903 to 1913. It is now can be seen in the street 42.
89 E 42nd St, New York, NY 10017, USA
Phone: +1 212-340-2583
40° 45′ 10.08″ N, 73° 58′ 35.48″ W