The Palace of Justice (Palacio de los Tribunales de Justicia de Santiago) houses the Appellate court of Santiago (la Corte de Apelaciones de Santiago, 1st floor), the Supreme court of Chile (la Corte Suprema de Justicia de Chile, 2nd floor), the Military court of the Army, air force, and carabinieri (la Corte Marcial del Ejército, Fuerza Aérea y Carabineros, ground floor) and the Library.
The building of the Palace of Justice was erected between 1905 and 1930. The year 1907 is considered the official date of its opening. The building of the Palace was erected in Neo-classical style with the noticeable French influence. It was designed by the French architects Doyére Emilio and his apprentice Alberto Schade. The area of the building is 4004 sq. m.
The main entrance to the Palace is framed by a two-tiered gallery, which is supported by one-story-high Doric columns on the lower level and two-story-high Ionic columns on the upper level. The gallery is overarched by a triangular pediment containing the figure of a condor standing on an open book with the word LEX (Latin for law) sculpted over it. The Palace of Justice has a three-story arcade, which is parallel to the main facade and features a glass skylight. Ornamental details include caryatids holding bronze swords made by the sculptor Coll y Pi and a stained-glass window made in Munich, Germany by Franz Mayer & Co.
In 1976, the Palace of Jusstice was declared a monument of historical heritage.
Compañía de Jesús 1140, Santiago, Región Metropolitana, Chile
Phone: +56 2 2412 5700
33° 26′ 20.93″ S, 70° 39′ 11.14″ W