The Chilean National Zoo is the largest zoo in the country. It is located on the slopes of San Cristobal in the Park Metropolitano de Santiago. The main activity of the Chilean National Zoo is the preservation and study of the species in it, as well as entertainment and leisure of visitors.
In 1875, a temporary exhibition of exotic animals was organized in the city park known as Quinta Normal. Then the first ideas of the construction of the zoo appeared. In 1882, the professor Julio Bernard opened the first zoo in the same Quinta Normal. Twenty years later, in Concepción (a district of Santiago), the professor and entomologist Charles Reade founded the Zoo, which placed the local fauna.
In 1921, the mayor of Santiago Alberto Makenna along with the professor Charles Reade launched a campaign on fundraising and on finding land to locate the National Zoo. Consequently, in 1925, the President of Chile Arturo Alessandri Palma signed a decree, according to which the area of 4,8 ha was allocated in the hills of San Cristobal for the construction of the Zoo.
Three months later, a few species of local fauna were transferred to the new Zoo from Quinta Normal, and 70 animals were brought through the Ferrocarril Trasandino (Trans-Andes railroad) from zoos in the cities of Mendoza and Buenos Aires (Argentina). The National Zoo was officially opened by the Vice-President Luis Barros Borgono on the 12th of December 1925. Charles Reade became the first Zoo Director.
Now the National Zoo of Chile covers an area of 4,8 hectares and includes more than 1000 animals of 158 species, 24% of mammals and 37% of the birds among them are representatives of the local fauna.
Summer: II - VII: 10:00 - 18:00
Winter: II - VII: 10:00 - 18:00
Providencia, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Phone: +56 2 2730 1368
33° 25′ 47″ S, 70° 38′ 3″ W
Reduced price: $ 1500
Adult price: $ 3000
Children price: $ 1500