The foundation of the Former National Congress Building in Santiago was laid in the first half of the 19th century by the architect Mont A. C.. The National Congress of Chile was established on the 4th of June 1811. The Congress met in that building of Santiago until the socialist government of Salvador Allende was overthrown by a military coup of Augusto Pinochet on the 11th of September 1973. In the days of Pinochet, the Congress moved to new premises in Valparaíso.
The work in the Former National Congress Building began under the President Manuel Montt Torres (1851-1861), but the erection of the building was not completed until 1876, during the presidency of Federico Marcos del Rosario Errázuriz Zañartu. The building was destroyed by fire in 1895, rebuilt and reopened in 1901, during the Parliamentary Era.
The building has the shape of a cross within a square plan, which creates four internal courtyards. It is also shown by classical pedimented porticos with Corinthian columns on the Northern and Eastern facades. The building and its gardens occupy the entire city block, which is adjacent to city blocks containing other nationally significant buildings such as the Santiago Metropolitan Cathedral, Palacio de Los Tribunales de Justicia de Santiago and the building that currently houses the Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino.
Today it is a national monument, with its neoclassical French architecture and columns along with its gorgeous gardens. The building is currently used as offices for deputies.
Compañía de Jesús 1131, Santiago, Región Metropolitana, Chile
Phone: +56 2 2674 7800
33° 26′ 16″ S, 70° 39′ 11″ W