The St. Augustine's Church (Iglesia San Agustin), also called the Shrine of Our Lady of Grace, is located in the historic center of Santiago.
The foundation of the building was erected in 1625, but the facade in neoclassical style was built two centuries later. The porch with four columns supporting entablature and balustrade, was built by Fermin Vivacieta in 1863. That phase of the work also included the construction of the tower.
The first Church was built in stone by the Peruvian architect, whose name was not known. That church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1627. However, the foundation of that building is used to this day. After almost 80 years, in 1707, the Church reopened its doors for believers. In 1730, the Church was badly damaged in the earthquake, and only in 1784, it was again restored. Between 1799 and 1803 years, the interior decoration in the Baroque style was carried out in the halls of the temple.
The St. Augustine's Church has three naves separated by thick, square at the base columns. The last and the most important restoration work in the temple was carried out in 2003. San Agustin Church was declared a national monument of Chile in 1981.
Estado 180, Santiago, Región Metropolitana, Chile
Phone: +56 2 2638 0978
33° 26′ 27″ S, 70° 38′ 56″ W