The German Church, which has one more name — the Church of St. Gertrude, is located in the Old town. It was consecrated in honor of St. Gertrude of Nivelles. However, there was a German Guild at that place in the middle ages, and the area was settled by immigrants from Germany.
In the XIV century, sailors, craftsmen and merchants of the German cities settled firmly in the heart of the Swedish capital. They were Lutherans and had no Church until 1558. At that time, the king Gustav I allowed the natives of Germany to carry out activities in German. Thus, the first Evangelical Lutheran parish was formed and it was outside Germany. And the building of the German Guild was very useful for the construction of the Church, as it became its foundation. Wine cellar of the Guild is still perfectly preserved, even though the Church was several times rebuilt and reconstructed.
The spire of the Church is made of brick and sheathed with copper plates. It rushes into the sky to the height of 86 meters. At different times, different architects worked over the decoration of the German Church. The great contribution was made by master from Strasbourg, Hans Jacob Kristler. He not only altered the Church, but also increased the chapel, making it two-aisled.
And when in 1878, the Church had a fire that destroyed the bell tower, it was decided to invite the German architect Julius Carl Raschdorff for the rebuilding of the temple. He was not a fan of Baroque, he preferred the fashionable neo-Gothic style. Raschdorff rebuilt the bell tower, made the North facade and the roof, and decorated them with gargoyles.
The interior of the German Church is also striking in its elegance and splendor. Tall, stained-glass windows light up the room in a special way. The altar is made of wood and decorated with gilded sculptures. There is a statue of the protector of the Church of St. Gertrude in the atrium.
Four times a day, you can hear the bell ringing, which reaches from the German Church.
Svartmangatan 16, 111 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 411 11 88
59° 19′ 27″ N, 18° 4′ 18″ E