The park Kungsträdgården (which means "Garden of the king"), also known as Kungsan, is located in the center of Stockholm. The Park is under the care of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
The location of the Park in the center of the Swedish capital and a variety of outdoor cafes makes it one of the most popular places of meetings and visits in the city. It also hosts concerts and other summer activities under the open sky, and in winter, there is large outdoor skating rink in the Park. In addition, the left-wing parties of the country hold annual May Day demonstration here. There are also cafes, art galleries and restaurants. The Park is divided into four separate sections: Square of Charles XII, Molina Fountain, Square of Charles XIII and Fountain Volodarsky.
Although the foundation of Kungsträdgården belongs to the Middle ages, it was first mentioned as a Royal garden in historical documents as early as 1430. Gradually, the garden supplying vegetables for the Royal table, was transformed into a private Royal pleasure garden, made mainly in the Baroque style. However, Charles XIV Johan began the demolition of walls and the construction of the square in the early 19th century in honor of the opening of the statue of Charles XIII in 1821. After the Palace Macules was burned in 1825, the Park was expanded to the South.
In the following century, several times it was planned to build up the Northern part of Kungsträdgården, however, due to the Second World War, plans had to be postponed. In 1970, the Park was transferred to the possession of the city.
In the 1970s, the construction of metro station caused much controversy since the project involved felling of old elms, some of which dated back to the 17th century. In the end, public protests led not only to saving trees, but to the transfer of station entrances away from the Park.
Jussi Björlings allé 5, 103 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 555 100 90
59° 19′ 52.5″ N, 18° 4′ 17.1″ E