Bergian Botanical Garden was founded in 1791 by means of donations of brothers Bergius to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. The name "Bergian" comes from the name of Berglund - the so-called garden-estate, which was built by brothers Bengt and Peter Jonas Bergius in Stockholm in the middle of the XVIII century.
The Botanical garden is located on the shore of lake Brunnsviken, in the Northern part of the Swedish capital. The garden has more than 9 000 plants from all over the world. Walking by the paths of the garden, you can make a little trip around the world. There are areas under the open sky, planted with herbaceous plants interspersed with greenhouses. Steppe and meadow fragrant herbs, herbs used in food as spices, as well as medicinal herbs live in harmony here. They are separated from each other by a low hedge of fir branches. Flower garden beds are scattered throughout in a beautiful, but scientifically thought-out disorder. There is a large park planted with coniferous and deciduous trees a little to the side. It is typical of this area of Northern Europe.
The greenhouse of Edward Andersen is the pride of the Botanical garden. Some rare and tropical plants are gathered there under the glass roof.
The garden is administered by the Academy of Sciences and Stockholm University. The Botanical garden is a popular place for walks of citizens and guests of Stockholm, though it is located away from the tourist trails.
Gustafsborgsvägen 4, 114 18 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 16 35 00
+46 8 16 35 00