Capitol Theatre is situated in a historical building at 13 Campbell Street, Haymarket, Sydney, Australia. Capitol theatre is the former site of the Belmore Markets. The latter were built in 1891 by George McRae, a city architect, and a civil engineer Norman Self, but it was a commercially unsuccessful project, because they were located too far from Darling Harbor. The old site was divided between the Manning Building overlooking Pitt Street and the Western half, which was converted into the theatre. The theatre was opened in 1928. Capitol Theatre is a brick building. It was conceived as a hippodrome for arena theatre and featured stone cornices, terracotta capitals, outlet and tile panels. The architect Henry White transformed its interior into a palace in 1927, creating the effect of an internal Italian yard. The building entered in the register of the National Estate. For many years, Capitol Theatre was an "atmospheric" cinema. In 1995, the Capitol theatre underwent a massive 2-year renovation costing more than $ 30 million. Capitol Theatre hosted and hosts long-running blockbuster musicals such as “The Lion King”,” Wicked and Les Miserables” and many others.