Hyde Park is a huge park, which extends on the Eastern side of the Central business district of Sydney on the area of 16 hectares. Many public buildings are located around the Park: the Supreme Court of New South Wales, St. James Church, Hyde Park Quarters, Sydney Hospital, St. Mary's Cathedral, Australian Museum, Downing center and others.
The Park is named after its famous London namesake – Hyde Park. If you look at it from above, it seems to be littered with the covers of the drains, most of which leads to Busby Bor, the first system of water supply of Sydney, built between 1827 and 1837 with the use of convict labor. From the earliest days of the Australia colony founding, the open area to the South-East of the settlement was a favorite place for townspeople and various sporting events. In 1810, the Governor Lachlan Maquire. separated this area from the park “Domain”, lying to the North, and named it Hyde Park. Since, many sports events took place on the territory of Hyde Park: cricket, rugby, throwing rings at the target, field hockey and horse racing. Army troops trained there; ordinary people walked with their dogs and even tended cattle. Only in 1856, Hyde Park was turned into a public Park and sports activity almost disappeared from there.
There are several gardens in Hyde Park today. About 580 trees (figs, palms and other species) grow there. The Park is famous for its delightful alleys of figs. The Archibald Fountain is a decoration of the Park. It was designed by the architect Francois Sukkar and presented in 1932 by journalist Jules Archibald to Australia for its service in the First World War. The Garden Nagoya is laid out in the Northern part of Hyde Park. Big chess shapes are its main attractions. There is the ANZAK Memorial, which is the war memorial of Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. There is one more monument at the entrance to the Park from the South-East side. It is a 104-millimetre gun from the German cruiser "Emden". And the 38-meter obelisk in the Egyptian style built in 1857 stands at the Western entrance to the Park.
Elizabeth St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
Phone: (+61) 2 9265 9333
33° 52′ 24″ S, 151° 12′ 41″ E