The Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto) is the oldest bridge across the Grand Canal in Venice that used to divide the city into two districts. The very first bridge crossing the Grand Canal was built as early as 1181 but could not hold up the crowd of people using it every day. As the Rialto Bridge used to be the only way to cross the canal on foot, in the 16th century the previous wooden bridgewas replaced with the one made of stone which can be seen today. The connection of the bridge with the Rialto market on the eastern bank is the reason for its name. Nowadays the bridge is lined with souvenir shops and attracts a great number of tourists. The bridge offers a great view over the canal and is an icon of the city of Venice.
45° 26′ 16.93″ N
12° 20′ 9.22″ E